About

Berkeley Regis United Neighbors (BRUN), is a Denver Registered Neighborhood Organization made up of residents and property owners working together both internally and with other city coalitions to KEEP our neighborhood great by advocating for the community's best interests and organizing events where residents can meet and get to know the great people who live near by.

More people getting involved means we can do more for our community -- please join us for our next meeting or social event!

To become a new member of our Neighborhood Organization or renew your membership, please click here.

  • From the blog

    July 2019 Meeting Minutes

    July 16, 2019 BRUN Meeting Notes

    1. Call to order 6:15pm (Kelly Merrion gavels)
    2. Speakers 6:15 – 7:30pm
      • Conversation with new District 1 Councilwoman – Amanda Sandoval
        • Missing all email folders and emails after transition to Councilwoman (please be patient as she recovers this data)
        • Jena Volpe will be taking care of scheduling items
        • First 6-months Goals and Focuses:
          • Move district office into district 1 (bathhouse? Local school?)
          • Office will be a resource to review pertinent district documents
          • Constituents set agenda
          • Wants to see BRUN be one of the strongest RNO’s
          • District 1 development changes: Olinger site, Regis re-zoning
          • Naomi – support staff (planning background)
          • Potential support to train RNO’s
          • Sandoval@denvergov.org (best way to reach her
    • City and County of Denver's intentions and efforts to certify as Community Wildlife Habitat through the National Wildlife Federation - Cait Shaughnessy, communications coordinator for the local office of the National Wildlife Federation
      • Presented by Brian Kurzel
      • “Nearby Nature” theme
      • Small changes within our grasp that can make big impact on environment
      • Ideas presented from “The Curious Garden” (book about the Highline in New York)
      • Creating natural spaces in everyday, urban places
      • Per Denver Post article – Denver is a “Concrete Metropolis”
      • Livability benefits of nature
    • Incorporating sustainable practices into GNAs - Sudy Kudva, co-owner of The Squire Lounge, MatchBox, and 715 Club
      • Flooding and heat island effect has impacted his businesses
      • Sudy asks to hold businesses accountable for flooding and heat island effect (not just noise and light pollution)
      • Permeability and green space requirements written into GNA
      • Review liquor license site plans to assess opportunities for improvement
    • Historic Berkeley Regis Update – Bill Killam
      • Olinger Chapel Update
        • 2,000 flyers distributed for Olinger Chapel development
        • 130 neighbors attended meeting
        • 300 signatures to save Olinger Chapel
        • Many good concerns brought up at meeting (safety, shadows, aesthetics, etc.)
        • Significant amount of media coverage
      • Bathhouse Update
        • Alignment with Amanda wanting an office there?
        • Gathering estimates for renovation / reconstruction
    1. Open Mic 7:30 – 7:45pm
      • Scott’s ADU (discussion focused on challenges of making it ADA accessible)
      • Debra requesting additional outreach to inform neighborhood about BRUN
      • Steven discussing recent challenges for BRUN
    1. Board Relations 7:45 – 8:20pm
      • Call for New Members & Vote by Board of Directors
        • New BRUN Members:
          • Debra Troppman, Linda Welp, Meredith Kreiss, Margaret Dioguardi
        • New Board or Director Members:
          • Mycroft Smith, Bill Killam, Scott Danenhauer, Meredith Kreiss
        • Executive Nominations/Vote:
          • President: Steve (approved with no objections)
          • Vice Pres: no nominations
    1. Committee Updates 8:20 – 8:52pm
      • Treasurer (safety report)
        1. Crime report (uptick in burglaries and vehicle thefts)
        2. Denver vision zero (no more traffic deaths) – obey pedestrian and traffic rules
      • Events
        1. No update
      • Zoning
        1. BOA Case #67-19 (larger than allowed ADU) Oppose Variance: Support Variance: 3 Stay Neutral: 8
        2. BOA Case #08-19 (new home, over demolished, new construction encroaching on setbacks) Oppose Variance: All, Support Variance: None
      • Membership
        1. No update
      • Communications
        1. No update
      • Regis Community Alliance
        1. No update
      • Denver Sustainability
        1. Flux in leadership (chief sustainability officer resigned)
        2. Can parks use less pesticides? (Private use might be a bigger problem)
    • ZAP consider sustainability issues
    1. Public Meeting concludes by 8:00pm

    Adjourn 8:52pm

    Read more

    June 2019 Meeting Minutes

    June 18, 2019 BRUN Meeting Notes

    1. Call to order 6:03pm (Kelly Merrion gavels)
      1. Change of Board announcements and Call for New Members
        • Jeff Stine added to the board
      2. Internal elections for President and Vice President
        • Kelly M. Interim President for one month only
    2. Speakers 6:05 – 6:43pm
      1. Smiley Library Community Meeting Announcement – Hannah Evans
        • 7/2 from 6-7pm meeting to receive feedback on renovation
        • Renovation approved (bond money)
        • Closed from 5/2020 (6 months)
        • Architect (Studiotrope) to present some ideas
      2. Statement by new District 1 Councilwoman – Amanda Sandoval
        • Not present
      3. Historic Berkeley Regis update – Bill Killam and Marie Edgar
        • Presentation update from 5/29 on Berkeley Bathhouse renovation
        • History of bathhouse, how the project meets criteria of 5-year parks plan
        • Community piece as opposed to storage use
        • Park master plan is a decade old, should be updated to include bathhouse renovation
        • Discussion of challenges for this project to be approved
        • Olinger Mortuary to Berkeley Chapel update (Landmark staff found that it is potentially significant in all three categories – Architecture, geography and history)
          • Put in notice that HBR will submit a designation application to extend to July 10th
          • Discussion on what options there are to adjust development plan
          • Path of Landmark status: Landmark staff makes recommendation to city council, city council votes
          • Current development plan does not include anything outside the zoning code and will most likely not look for any variances
          • $875 application fee if a city council person does not submit the application
          • Historic Denver is involved and in support of landmark designation
          • Neighborhood is losing a community asset, hope to get something back from developer to replace and make up for that loss.
          • Online petition to sign and other efforts to get word out via Facebook
    3. Open Mic 6:43 – 6:47pm
      1. Status on Yates hearing
        • Waiting for decision on liquor license decision
    4. Committee Updates 6:48 – 7:45pm
      1. Treasurer
        • BRUN $35 in the red after movie night
        • One new member signed up during movie night
      2.  Events
        1. Attendance for movie was higher but spend was lower
        2. Oriental offered some dates for both July and August if we want to do another movie night
        3. Another poll and time movie night a few weeks after poll
        4. Combine Happy Hour with Movie Night
        5. Matinee options? Video Gaming night to encourage a teen population?
      3. Zoning
        1. New chair (Dave Marshall)
        2. Setting up standing meeting, encourage attendance and engagement
        3. Establishing a standing committee group based on attendance that are allowed to vote
        4. Open forum, involvement encouraged
      4. INC Meeting update
        • June 1st meeting update:
          1. National Western Stock Show Complex rezoning
          2. Sloan’s Lake rezoning (neighborhood organizations opposing development plans)
          3. Group Living Task Force (proposing develop criteria for free standing SRO)
          4. Landmarks Ordinance Update (from three points to 10 points – add items such as cultural significance, would make designation more difficult)
          5. Proposed text amendments for large developments
      5. Membership
        1. Goals for the year
          1. Looking at ways to expand membership (Looking at different models – present proposal in July)
      6. Communications
        1. No Update
      7. Regis Community Alliance
        1. Build more support within community to promote the sustainability of the community including small business needs
        2. Working on a survey to better understand needs
        3. Addressing safety along Federal BLVD
        4. Working with Walk Denver to create a partnership
        5. Affordable Housing
        6. First Tuesday of the month standing meeting (No July meeting)
      8. Denver Sustainability
        1. Annual Summit on 12/5 (can recommend topics for consideration)
          1. org/sustainability
        2. Denver hosting an organization called “10 10 10”
          • Tech organization that discusses very difficult problems
          • Focus on climate and water event in November
    5. Adjourn 7:49pm
    Read more

  • Upcoming events

    BRUN Monthly Meeting
    Tuesday, August 20, 2019 at 06:00 PM

    Meeting in classroom behind church - look for sign. Enter from 44th Ave.

    If you have an idea for an event, drop us a note at brunrno@gmail.com.

    BRUN typically meets the 3rd Tuesday of each month at 6pm at Holy Family classrooms behind the church. On occasion, the meeting may be canceled due to holidays and/or special events. Please check the BRUN schedule to verify time/location and/or send an email to info@berkeleyregisneighbors.org to confirm meeting time/location.

    If you would like to be added to the agenda, please send an email to info@berkeleyregisneighbors.org to discuss your issue and to be added to the agenda. For each meeting, there is time allocated at the end of the meeting for public comment and general neighborhood concerns. Some issues may best be addressed at the Committee level and we will decide which option is best based on individual needs, circumstances and timing.

    RSVP
    BRUN Monthly Meeting
    Tuesday, September 17, 2019 at 06:00 PM

    Meeting in classroom behind church - look for sign. Enter from 44th Ave.

    If you have an idea for an event, drop us a note at brunrno@gmail.com.

    BRUN typically meets the 3rd Tuesday of each month at 6pm at Holy Family classrooms behind the church. On occasion, the meeting may be canceled due to holidays and/or special events. Please check the BRUN schedule to verify time/location and/or send an email to info@berkeleyregisneighbors.org to confirm meeting time/location.

    If you would like to be added to the agenda, please send an email to info@berkeleyregisneighbors.org to discuss your issue and to be added to the agenda. For each meeting, there is time allocated at the end of the meeting for public comment and general neighborhood concerns. Some issues may best be addressed at the Committee level and we will decide which option is best based on individual needs, circumstances and timing.

    RSVP
    See all events
  • Contact

    Contact